We’ve travelled quite a bit in the past few years, especially last year after we moved to Belgium from U.S.A. Leaving comfort of your own home and heading towards a strange land do take some guts and an open mind. It’s sad but true that though we went to many cities and countries, quality of some of those trips weren’t as perfect as I’ve expected them to be. I would rather travel less and have higher quality of vacation. When I say “quality”, I don’t mean flying in First Class or staying in a 5-star hotel or eating in the fanciest restaurants. My vision of any great trip is to make good memories with my family. I may not remember all the details of all the places we went to during our visits but I always remember how I felt with my loved ones when I am in a new place. Pleasant feelings of being in a certain place are tied together with the people I am traveling with…for me that makes a perfect vacation.
I gathered some quotes on traveling that really speak my mind. Hope they inspire everyone to go out there and take the big challenge of going to a place where you don’t know the people, culture, language, food, and religion.
1) “Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things – air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky – all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” – Cesare Pavese
2) “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller
3) ″A traveler without observation is a bird without wings.” – Moslih Eddin Saadi
4) “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber
5) “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener
6) “I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.” – Mark Twain
7) “Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.” – Benjamin Disraeli
8) “Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.”— Gustave Flaubert
9) “Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else.” — Lawrence Block
And finally, my MOST favorite one which many travelers forget when going to a new place
10) “When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.” – Clifton Fadiman