10 Fun Facts About Belgium

Belgium is a tiny country in Europe compare to some other big ones like Spain, Italy, Germany, France, U.K. But despite it’s size, this place has many things to offer including waffles, chocolates, diamonds, french fries, and many more countless things. No wonder this country is known as the “Essence of Europe“. I came across these facts on Belgium here and there. Most of them I experienced after being here for a while but some other facts I collected from various different places. eNjOy …

1) A country without Government: Yep, it is scary, but Belgium had no official government for close to 2 years now. No worries, everything is working just fine. The country is being run by a caretaker government.

2)Belgian Chocolates: Belgium produces around 220,000 tonnes of chocolate every year. That means, 22 kg of chocolate is consumed per person per year or 61 grams per day on an average. The world’s biggest chocolate selling point is Brussels National Airport (aha, not any Swiss airports. What does that tell you?)

3) The diamond capital: The world’s main diamond center and second largest petrochemical center is in Belgium. Almost 90% of raw diamonds in the world are negotiated, polished, and distributed in Antwerp, Belgium.

4) 3 official languages: Belgium has 3 official languages. Majority people speak Flemish, which is a local dialect of Dutch, then French is the 2nd most popular, finally very small percent of Belgians (may be 1%) speak German. Luckily, most of the locals can speak Flemish and French very well along with English in cities like Brussels, Brugges, Gent or Antwerpen…good for the expats.

5) Education Law: Education is compulsory in Belgium upto the age of 18, which is the highest in the world.

6) Heart of Europe: Brussels is not only the capital of Belgium, but also the capital of European Union (EU) and houses the headquarter of NATO. That’s why Brussels is called the “Heart of Europe”.

7) Royal Palace of Brussels: The Royal Palace of Brussels is 50% longer than Buckingham Palace.

8) Quality of Education: A 2007 UNICEF report on child well-being in rich countries ranked Belgium as the best country for children’s education well-being.

9) Belgian Frites: Belgians should be given credit for their “French Fries“. It wasn’t France who came up with fries at the first place. Foreign soldiers in Belgium saw French speaking people eating/serving fries (“frites” is what we call here) and that’s where the “French Fries” name came from. Oh, one more thing, in Belgium fries are eaten with mayonnaise, not ketchup, which actually tastes wayyy better.

10) Belgian Waffles: There are 3 main sorts of Belgian waffles: Liege waffles, the most common ones and are eaten more like cookies, have small bites of sugar cyrtals in them. Brussels waffles, my favorite ones, are usually bigger, lighter, rectangular, and eaten with various toppings like fruits, ice cream, nutella. Galettes, haven’t tried this yet, are thinner, softer, and typically eaten for breakfast, sometimes with jam.

Along with the above facts, a Belgian – Adolphe Sax invented saxophone, the first printed newspaper was published in 1605 in Belgium, oil painting was invented here in the 15th century. One more thing I have to mention is that Belgium produces the highest number of comic books in the world (even more than Japan). Belgians are so crazy about comics books that the even have a museum dedicated to those comic lovers. One of the most famous comic hero is Tintin (remember him?), who was a Belgian…

About these ads

82 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Veronica
    Aug 11, 2014 @ 10:50:56

Can the knowledge of mathematics help a gambler to win. What will prevent soccer from establishing itself as a major force in the USA.
    Look inside the records for more information before placing your soccer bets.

2. The Wonderful End of the World steam key generator download
    Aug 11, 2014 @ 06:35:10

Hi there to every one, the contents present at this site are truly awesome for
    people knowledge, well, keep up the nice work fellows.

3. Fitting Carpet Floorings
    Aug 10, 2014 @ 22:15:54

It’s an awesome paragraph in favor of all the web visitors; they will get advantage from it I am sure.

4. my vagina is too loose
    Aug 10, 2014 @ 12:49:21

Hi there!
    Does everyone contain the identical issues
    when i perform? I can not seem to any further meet our companion in the room.
    Following obtaining three kids I’ve got dropped this
    baby-belly body fat but I am unable to seem to re-tighten my
    own vagina. I must constantly accomplish other items to
    make your ex pleased in the bed room simply because genital sex not excites
    your pet. Help! I’ve started off thinking about goods and
    also solutions to deal with this particular, can any person propose a fantastic one?

Cheers!

5. Hortense
    Aug 09, 2014 @ 21:43:55

Awesome issues here. I am very happy to peer your post.
    Thank you a lot and I am having a look ahead to contact you.
    Will you please drop me a e-mail?

6. Sally
    Aug 07, 2014 @ 16:11:06

What’s up to all, how is the whole thing, I think every one is getting more from this web site, and your views are nice designed for new viewers.

7. Gia
    Aug 06, 2014 @ 03:41:49

Thanks for some other fantastic post. The place else could anybody get that kind of info in such an ideal way of writing?
    I’ve a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.

8. hale
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 15:59:29

Of work done during overhaul and current repairs
    shall be determined on the basis of electromagnetic
    field in the region red visible or near infrared.
    They have different benefits in terms of how they react and how first they addresse that need with commercial tents.

9. Wedding DJ St. Augustine
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 07:15:17

I constantly spent my half an hour to read this webpage’s
    articles or reviews daily along with a mug of coffee.

10. fat face
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 04:56:29

My spouse and I stumbled over here by a different website and thought I should check things
    out. I like what I see so i am just following you.
    Look forward to looking at your web page for a second time.

11. www.myfootball.org
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 04:09:46

The main goal of these devices is voice communication; however through data plans
    and web applications, users can have unlimited access to
    the web. It’s cousin, Microsoft Works, is also not half bad.

*A Quick Tip: If you are waiting for something
    really important cross reference this with your electronic calendar.

12. droidbuster.com
    Aug 02, 2014 @ 20:59:44

Hello, its fastidious post on the topic of media print, we
    all be familiar with media is a great source of data.

13. www.youtube.com
    Aug 02, 2014 @ 14:05:45

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my
    blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and
    was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

14. La Planète des singes l'affrontement gratuit
    Aug 02, 2014 @ 13:59:02

The true filmaholic hears a song from the soundtrack and knows exactly where it comes in during the film.
    It would be a dream come true, partying with the
    cartoon character voted the 2nd most influential in history.

This film continues a trend in fashionable CSI-CIA-crime composing deficiencies in knowledge of the fundamental concepts of know-how and that i guess it should not hassle lots of individuals
    even so for me your entire plot appeared instead forced.

15. http://science.unitn.it/~rimoldi/doku.php?id=profile_jacquelgxz
    Aug 02, 2014 @ 12:48:17

So if you have ever asked yourself “What is the fastest way to make money. Stop wondering how to make quick money online and start making it happen today. Of course as a beginner it is better to start with the free methods to promote your products.

16. dieta alimentos
    Aug 02, 2014 @ 11:49:32

A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment.
    I do believe that you ought to publish more about this issue, it might not be
    a taboo matter but typically folks don’t talk about such topics.
    To the next! All the best!!

17. chirose
    Jun 26, 2014 @ 22:25:31

I love Belgium.!! I had the best time when i visited Brussels, Brugges, and Leuven :) Great post.!!

18. MASUMA BEGUM
    Jun 26, 2014 @ 18:59:24

I LOVE BELGUIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. charlotte
    Jun 24, 2014 @ 11:57:16

great site lots of cool facts for school thx

20. chaude du clitoris gorge profonde brutale
    May 17, 2014 @ 13:00:22

Puis-je vous emprunter 2 ou 3 paragraphes sur mon site internet personnel
    ?

21. chrissyuh
    Mar 13, 2014 @ 13:21:37

Thanks a lot for your like! Your blog looks interesting and makes me curious- am looking forward to reading more!

22. janstring
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 18:41:24

Thanks for the like

23. Mishe
    Jan 19, 2014 @ 14:35:46

Thanks for finding me and my blog! From your website I could tell that we shared a common interest in travel, then I discovered that you’re from Portland, one of my favorite places in the U.S. that I return to when I go home at least once a year, and that we were a teacher in Portland – I worked at a school there as well. Sometimes it’s amazing how small the world is.

24. leesbj
    Oct 09, 2013 @ 10:48:47

Going to Ghent soon. Any tips?

25. evelenmargaret
    Jul 10, 2013 @ 17:19:41

Thank you for visitng & liking my blog.
    I think you have one of the most fascinating blogs I’ve ever seen.

26. fgassette
    Apr 09, 2013 @ 23:29:00

Thank you for visiting my blog today. I appreciate the time you took to stop by. May your day be filled with joy and peace.
    BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

27. Max Qubit
    Apr 05, 2013 @ 22:42:45

Belgian Frites is great. Belgium also has a lot (and I mean a LOT) different local beers. Deserves a place in the list;)

28. RDoug
    Mar 04, 2013 @ 13:50:50

Most of my experience with Begium is in Bruges, which I love.

29. melissaAnn
    Nov 14, 2012 @ 11:24:51

Yep. I live here. Good place to live.

30. TBM
    Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:41:10

I’m not too far away from Belgium and we hope to visit soon. I do love waffles :)

31. smiles00
    Nov 04, 2012 @ 23:36:17

Sweet – hope to visit your country one day

• Globe Runner
      Nov 05, 2012 @ 01:18:58

For now, you can say its my country. But I will be gone may be next year back to my home sweet home in Portland, Oregon (USA) and will miss everything about Belgium :(

32. mflahertyphoto
    Oct 31, 2012 @ 23:54:55

It IS a fun list. I think the quality of my education would have to be good if I was eating Belgian waffles every morning before school.

33. Tina Schell
    Oct 24, 2012 @ 22:07:01

While I was in college I did 13 countries in 6 months. Belgium was my very favorite. And I do LOVE Belgian waffles !!

34. Fat Gary
    Oct 23, 2012 @ 19:09:32

On my way back to the old country this weekend for a road trip with my brother and girlfriend. One night in Bruges and another in Antwerp, home via Gent. Can’t wait!

35. quintascott
    Oct 23, 2012 @ 00:10:45

In Brussels I lived on great beer and cheese sandwiches.

36. Fat Gary
    Aug 22, 2012 @ 19:13:07

Interesting article! I’m half-Belgian by descent and have been there quite a few times now. It’s a lovely little country and the food is great (I love kroketten and bitterballen, although I think they may be Dutch). Another interesting fact is that it is compulsory to vote in the Belgian elections, it is considered a federal offence to abstain.

I hope you tried the beer there, there are so many different beers (mostly bottle conditioned) and each is served in its own glass. They really treat their beer like the French treat their wine!

37. thebestdressup
    Aug 21, 2012 @ 02:36:32

ciao! thanks for (ad)dressing my blog. i checked yours and it’s just a luvFAB.

thebestdressup.

38. swebackpacker
    Aug 18, 2012 @ 09:44:14

Interesting blog post about Belgium. Sweden isn´t too far away but I have never been there! Thanks for the list!

• Globe Runner
      Aug 19, 2012 @ 01:06:05

We actually drove to Lund and Malmo in Sweden after our visit to Legoland in Denmark couple weeks ago, it was fantastic. Belgium is a small country with large attitude… I am sure you will love Brussels if you decided to come here in the future

39. Christine R.
    Aug 06, 2012 @ 00:58:49

Great list! I love Belgium as well, especially the Belgium chocolate.

40. jmsabbagh
    Jun 26, 2012 @ 15:54:05

l love Belgium,l visited this beautiful city when l used to live in Vienna.Best regards.J.Michael

• Globe Runner
      Jun 26, 2012 @ 17:03:31

Oh how wonderful, we’ve visited Vienna in couple months ago in April. My next post was going to be on Vienna actually. So many places to visit there. Thanks for stopping by.

41. Trackback: Capital of Diamond – Antwerp, Belgium « Journey Around The Globe
  42. irisofthewayfarer
    Apr 25, 2012 @ 02:44:14

you forgot Belgian beer, the Atomium. Oh my, when I was 8 or 9 years old, we went to see the Atomium and there were these, to me, amazing speaking trash cans in the form of a man and a woman. They kept saying “ici papier, papier ici” and my mom had to find trash to put in their mouths.

sorry to rattle on. It’s just a fun memory for me and I guess you had to be there.

Love your blog as well as frites with mayonnaise

• Globe Runner
      Apr 25, 2012 @ 09:07:28

I love almost everything about Belgium, we have about a year and a half left here before going back to my home in Oregon. Until then enjoying every bit of it… Thx for visiting my blog btw

43. Trackback: Waterloo, Belgium – A place where Napoleon fought his last battle « Journey Around The Globe
  44. Mou
    Mar 10, 2012 @ 18:33:37

Appuuu…I’m so glad I found your blog! I was wondering if you had one cause you get to travel to so many cool places!! I hope I can visit you guys in Belgium..iA, until then…I’ll just read your posts and imagine myself there =D

45. Trackback: Pick Leopold’s for Chicago Restaurant Week 2012 | Vino Con Vista Italy Travel Guides and Events
  46. jessica
    Feb 15, 2012 @ 22:01:01

Lovely! I would love to see some photos! I’ve never been!

47. Michelle
    Feb 15, 2012 @ 01:26:17

I used to live in Belgium and this post served as a great reminder! Thanks!!

48. Annie Bananie
    Feb 14, 2012 @ 12:53:58

Great list! I study (partly) in Belgium and I like it a lot :D

49. Seattle Foodshed
    Feb 14, 2012 @ 00:57:35

thank you for pointing to us! and, great blog post! love belgium!